Turmeric is a key spice that is not only used in Indian recipes but also prescribed as an effective medicine in the ancient books of Ayurveda. The reason why turmeric is so effective is that it contains a magical compound called curcumin.
Curcumin is considered to be the most potent and medicinally powerful component in turmeric. It helps to detoxify and rejuvenate the liver as well as increases the antioxidant capacity in the body.
Turmeric milk can be a great addition to your regular diet and there are some wonderful reasons why it has the potential to better your health and wellbeing:
- Turmeric is akin to a panacea – it has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-allergic properties.
- Turmeric is a potent compound in recovery whether it be from an injury, sickness, trauma or surgery. Its regular intake speeds up the healing process.
- Turmeric milk assists in healing wounds and can help in fighting skin infections.
- It is beneficial in treating joint and bone issues including arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- A glass of turmeric milk can help ensure a good night’s sleep when consumed at night.
- It can help reverse aging and can be considered as an anti-aging tonic.
While making turmeric milk, care should be taken not to add more than a pinch of turmeric powder in the milk especially if you’re planning on making it a consistent part of your diet. It is easy for curcumin to get accumulated in the body when taken daily or consistently, especially with milk, and adding turmeric more than a pinch may cause its deposition in gallbladder and intestines as well as have long-term health effects.
Turmeric milk coupled with a pinch of black pepper can work wonders for the body. The compound piperine present in black pepper enhances the viability and potency of curcumin present in turmeric. It also helps in the absorption of curcumin in the body. In addition, piperine also plays an important role in the absorption of antibiotics and induces anti-inflammatory action. In a nutshell, the winning combo of black pepper and turmeric can be a wonderful natural remedy for enhancing recovery and healing from any kind of disorder.
A little goes a long way, and a pinch of health in turmeric milk can be a lifesaver in the long run. There is increasing evidence of how curcumin is a powerful medicinal compound in treating serious health disorders such as Alzheimer’s, cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
Turmeric milk, widely used in Indian households as a cure for common cold and other health problems, has been endearingly named as ‘Golden Milk’ in some countries as its popularity has picked up. In today’s world, it can prove not only to be a healing remedy but vital insurance for all of us.