A consistent practice of Pranayama makes our lungs stronger and improves our blood circulation enhancing our health and our life span. The exercises in respiration help us fill lungs to their maximum capacity. The rich oxidation that we get nourishes different parts of the body while the deep exhalation helps us release carbon dioxide and other useless substances outside the body. Most people do not have the habit of breathing deeply and hence only one-fourth of the lung capacity is used. Our lungs are made up of millions of cells and can be compared to a sponge in their making. In normal breathing that we all are accustomed to on a daily basis, only about 27 percent of cells get oxygen, whereas the remaining 73 percent don’t get access to it. As a result, they get contaminated manifesting diseases such as tuberculosis, bronchitis, cough, and other respiratory disorders. The inefficient functioning of our lungs can influence the process of blood purification and weaken our heart with time. That’s why Pranayama is an essential practice for living a healthy and long life.
The ancient scriptures teach that mind and breath have a very significant connection. By controlling our breath, we can develop our mind and increase our focus and concentration by practicing breathing exercises. As the mind gets clear, it also becomes easy for us to progress into the state of dhyana (meditation).
Through a regular practice of Pranayama, we can get a better grip over negative emotions such as anxiety, fear, frustration, sexual urges, and other mental distractions. It improves the functioning of brain cells that leads to enhanced memory, faster learning, and increased alertness. Another benefit of Pranayama is that by its consistent practice, we are able to develop a habit of deep breathing, which results in several health benefits. When the breathing becomes deep we become calmer and in tune with the inner tranquility within us. We are able to soothe our mind and gain better control over our body.