“I spent a lifetime giving my power away, assuming that everybody knew better what was right for me than me. And then there comes a point in your life you go, Oh, wait a second! There’s an a-ha moment when you realize that the only person that can delegate your future is you.”– Mariel Hemingway
Many people in the face of challenges and adversities give away their power. Are you one of them? Here are some symptoms of such individuals:
- They feel caged in the prison cell of their own making.
- They harbor feelings of bitterness and resentment and struggle to have an optimistic demeanor.
- They’re stressed and anxious all the time. They constantly fear the unknown.
- They feel helpless and find themselves trapped in the victim mindset, unable to bring positive changes in their lives and improve their circumstances.
- They find themselves having low vibration most of the time. Due to this they easily get stuck in the vicious circle of negativity and frequently experience sadness, frustration, hopelessness, exhaustion, depletion and lack of motivation.
If any of these signs feel familiar to you, you are likely giving away your power to someone or something else. It’s time to stop this once and for all.
We all find others and even ourselves say things like, “My parents ruined my life!” or “My student loan impeded my financial progress,” or “The pandemic had a detrimental effect on my business and my income.”
However, when you say such negative statements, you distance yourself from the incredible power within you. You can’t do anything about things that are out of your control, but you can always control your response and the way you perceive setbacks and obstacles. YOU are the one who decides what level of impact external factors and events would have on your life.
Successful and prosperous people don’t identify crises and any other negative events as obstacles. Rather, they see them as they are, without any filters, and look for the kernels of opportunities hidden within them. As Napoleon Hill remarked, “Every adversity contains, at the same time, a seed of equivalent opportunity!”
The most successful amongst us understand that anger, bitterness, and resentment are nothing but poison; they inflict far more pain and damage on the people who hold onto those negative emotions than on the people toward whom those emotions are being directed!
There’s no point in staying stuck in the past. Release your toxic emotions and make a fresh start. Now is the time to do a “mental and emotional reboot.” This will give you the chance to refresh your mindset and heartset and start from scratch, helping you reinstate your motivation, your Why, and enhance your focus, clarity, and sense of purpose.
Ultimately, you are the creator of your destiny. So take your power back and accomplish the goals that would have the greatest impact on your life.